forum+topic_location forum+forum_index » General » General Chat
antarctica
antarctica Mar 23

Hello,

We are some of the long time Karel fans who are living and working in Antarctica. Some of the old timers will remember people such as "John the Yank", "Dave from Oz", "Dick/Richard the Kiwi" and others.  We are alive and well in Antarctica!

We live and work in the very remote interior of Antarctica. There is no cell phone service, nor do we have access to the internet as you know it. We can only call out via a satellite phone. We receive files fed to us via a very slow multiple hop satellite link. (This post was dictated via sat phone call to a friend in North America who typed it in for us.)

To receive Karel's YouTube shows, the audio track is converted into a compressed sound file. Screen shots of the YouTube video are taken about once a minute and compressed into a directory of images. We play back the audio track while a program displays the screen shot images in sort of a slideshow mode. On occasion, when the satellite links all are up at the same time, we can listen "to a live show" and look at the photos that are downloaded later. When our friend in North America is also online, we can send him short text messages that he types into the YouTube chat.

While the above method may seem cumbersome, it is what works for us. It is very remote and isolated here. Quality contact with the outside world is a rare thing for us. When it happens, we highly appreciate it. We know you have many choices of what to watch on the Internet.  We, on the other hand, have to be selective as our bandwidth is so limited. The joy of hearing about Karel's adventures, hearing him talk about current events around the world, or seeing a screen shot of Ember is a real treasure for us.

We are proud Patreons supporters of Karel. If you are not already, we hope you will consider to become a Patreon supporter. Without YOUR SUPPORT, Karel will not be able to produce the shows that we enjoy.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-- from Karel's fans in the land way down under!

p.s Check out Antarctica photo album!

forum+post_edited antarctica Mar 23
socialsharing+share
ViperBlack
ViperBlack Apr 1
Hello everyone in Antarctica! I’ve seen one show, and if I’m not mistaken it was possibly Andrew Zimmern, on how you all eat there at the station. All the different jobs.  Pretty cool! And thank you for what you are doing and the fact that you all take such good care of the area you work in. And our planet. Hello back from the coastal hills of California! 
Randall
Randall Apr 8
Hey there, I remember you, I helped you guys fix a messed up keyboard way back then!

That was back in the days when we had "Mr Man" who had the huge LP album collection, and "El Steveo", Steve still posts youtube videos but things have gone way downhill for him in recent years, he is homeless, living on the street in San Diego I think is the city.

Here's a blast from 2005;
forum+post_edited Randall Apr 8
forum+attachments:
  karellive-1.jpg (14Kb)
Randall
Randall Apr 8
I still have the original karel forum board database from 2008, it has 935 users in it, I wonder how many of the 935 people's email addresses are still valid after 10 years, you know, I could maybe send a BCC email out 100 at a time and invite the old chatroom and message forum users to come here and sign up, I bet a lot of them don't know about the new forum and all.
forum+attachments:
  Screen Shot 42.jpg (48Kb)
antarctica
antarctica Apr 8
Hello Randall, Yes that keyboard that was "damaged" by a spill as I recall.  Well met!
Randall
Randall Apr 8
I seem to remember it was coffee or something that was spilled on it, and if I remember right I suggested rubbing alcohol to flush it out, these days though the new type keyboards would probably be defunct and unfixable.
antarctica
antarctica Apr 10
Some here remember that it was coffee mixed with something. What was spilled was mostly coffee. The alcohol that was used to clean was extremely high proof ethyl alcohol that was produced in our freezing still. The keyboard has a cover now and still works today.
antarctica
antarctica Apr 10
p.s. This text was read to someone (Landon) over a satellite phone and they typed it in. The typos and dictation mistakes are Landon's fault. :-)